Monday, September 03, 2007

Comments on...The Education of Little Tree

Wow. That's how I will start off. ;) Well to begin with...I just watched this movie called the "education of little tree", I mean Just because I am someone that likes to do things immediately afterwards. I don't want the tamed down reaction that comes from thinking over ones emotions that were felt during the viewing of the movie.

Here is the synopsis as listed on the rotten tomatoes website:

"The compassionate tale of 8-year-old Little Tree, an orphaned youth whose sojourn at his grandparents' backwoods Smoky Mountains cabin sparks a legacy of learning about his Cherokee roots and the oppressive government that seeks to assimilate him. Based on Forrest Carter's controversial novel."

Now that in itself doesn't tell you a great deal as it was more the acting than the plot that got me.

We will start with who the grandparents that were cast:
James Cromwell - This man always gets me.
Tantoo Cardinal - Another huge role would of course be in "Legends of the Fall"

The grandparents were an amazing casting. The couple had the right vibe for a couple of their age, and given the things that they had seen...it was excellent having these two. (I am slightly partial when it comes to them, but side by side for their roles...I was very happy with the selection that was made)

Next is John. John was played by Graham Greene who is always an inspiring actor to watch...movies such as Dances with wolves, or in thunderheart. His character was also very well created for this movie. I have to say however that I had 2 favorite scenes with his character. One was when he was in the church and as the hussy in the front on the church said she had been fornicating with all of these different gentlemen (Testify day @ church) HAhahahaa...and as she was going to list the next man and all of these men are running out of the church before she can actually say their names...well then the frog that Little Tree put into John's pocket makes a croak...just one...so it could have been from a man clearing his throat. I died laughing because he initially looked so sober...and then all of a sudden...he BURSTS out laughing in the church while all the disapproving whatever you want to call thems look on. AHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA...I was laughing so hard I was crying in my seat. Hahahahaa.
The second was when Grampa and John walked Little Tree to the village to send him off to the school. He did this part so quietly...he just grabbed Little Tree's other hand and they started walking off...no words...just he grabs his hand and starts walking. Excellent...I think you have to see it to understand why I am making a big deal...and even then, maybe you wouldn't get what I am saying. :P

Then finally we get to Little Tree himself...played by Joseph Ashton. For such a small boy...or for how small he looked...to do as well as he did with his roles/his lines and to be the main character is a big responsibility...but one that this young man met quite admirably. I would have to say that Grampa, Grandma and John were all preferred by me over Little Tree, but that's just because I felt that as the movie was about him, I expected him to do a good job...but it was mostly Grandma and Grampa that made me bawl..yes...bawl. Just some of the looks remind me of some of my older family member's looks. It just hits you and then all of sudden you are sitting on the futon wiping tears from the corner of your eyes because you just realized that you are crying. Tsk Tsk,.... You big sissy You.

Anyways, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie...I am going to go and see if I can find the part about john in the church again on youtube. Here's to hoping!

Thanks for listening.

-Jamie-

No comments:

« # Scorpio ? »