Thursday, July 12, 2007

Recipe

Walsh Rabbit



Sounds intriguing or disgusting? The appropriate name would be "Welsh Rarebit" but of course, as a child, how was I to know any better?

I knew that the delectable meal made me happy, that it was delicious and that my mother never told me that I was saying it wrong.

What is this you ask? Walsh Rabbit as I have fondly come to call it, is nothing more than a delightful cheese sauce. Best made with Extra Old cheese, however if you just want something bland and plain...then you go right ahead...you use that pathetic mild cheese.



The recipe itself consists of the following:



41/2 Tlb Spoons of flour

3 1/4 cup of Milk

3 Tlb spoons of Dry mustard (Be generous - tastes better to me)

1 1/3 cup of EXTRA Old Cheese (to flavor - depends on your choice) ( I like more than less)

Some people add an egg, I don't and haven't noticed a difference, up to you really.


Directions:

1. Turn Stove to medium heat (keep in mind doing so will mean a constant eye on this as you want to ensure it doesn't boil, as well that the flour does not simply stick to the bottom. Stir Stir Stir - Keeping it on medium will make it change quicker though, so I recommend Medium with loving attention. ;) )

2. Measure milk into a medium saucepan

3. Measure flour into same saucepan - using a whisk all the while to remove lumps

4. Measure Dry Mustard into same saucepan - repeat step using your handy whisk

5. Shred cheese into 1 1/3 Cup measurement and then stir using whisk or spoon

6. Make sure you keep stirring and making sure nothing sticks to the bottom.

7. Stir until you notice it starting to thicken (you will be able to tell)

8. Turn heat down to low-medium (3 ish)

9. Basically keep stirring until it is thick enough that when you scoop some up and let it run off the spoon that it makes a little bit of a pile on top of the rest in the pot. Or until you think it is as thick as you want.

10. Make up some toast, nice and toasted with butter or without, and then spoon the welsh rabbit over the toast, add salt, pepper.

No comments:

« # Scorpio ? »